Sunday, December 11, 2011

My new novel, Chase The Wild Pigeons

My novel, Chase The Wild Pigeons: A novel of the Civil War, is set during the Civil War, but the story of friendship is just as timely today. This story is not just one of war and manuevers–far from it. It is a story of two boys learning the meaning of true friendship, real trust, and love that is binding among men–in this case, young men.
I addressed many of the subjects of the day, so of course, I couldn’t avoid the issue of slavery. I tried, but the story kept leading me back. I decided to just dive in. I researched extensively for my story, and I hope I got it right. Slavery was just as complex as the war, maybe more so. Let me know what you think.

3 comments:

  1. I think it sounds very interesting! Slavery is something that cannot be ignored when writing about that time period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying this book; it has renewed my interest in studying the Civil War. The complexities of the slavery issue must have been difficult to address and your account seems very credible to me.

    And, of course, I loved the enduring story of friendship. Thank you so much for this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thank you so much for reading my book. I found slave narratives to be my best source on slavery. If you are interested, The Library of Congress web site has so much information. I used it a lot. Also, here is a diary that I got a lot of good information from. It's great : http://docsouth.unc.edu/imls/agnew/menu.html

      I researched extensively for the novel. I did my best to paint a picture of the way it really was. I traveled the whole journey of my story from Arkansas to Virginia just to get the topography right.

      If you enjoyed the novel, I hope you will leave a good review at Amazon or wherever you purchased the book. And look for my newest novel to be released in February, "Spirit In The Red Amber."

      Again, thank you.

      John

      Delete